Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Testing for Gestational Diabetes

I had my Gestational Diabetes test this morning. I had to drink a cup of liquid that tasted like extra sugary orange pop. Honestly it wasn't too bad. Then I had to sit around for an hour an have my blood drawn. Here's the funny part. I have really small crappy veins hidden beneath my skin. You can not see them at all from the outside. Tanya, who usually draws my blood, was busy so the new girl was going to do it. I get pretty nervous about giving blood so I'm thinking OH NO! She ties the rubber around the top of my arm so tight I think my arm might split in two and then she goes about searching for a vein. She then wants to check the other arm. I know the other arm is not going to be any better because I gave the best one first. After checking the other arm she starts talking about taking it from my hand. Oh crap! Is she for real?! I was starting to sweat at that point, no joke. Thank goodness Tanya came out of the examining room at just the right time and she was able to draw my blood as usual. She's never missed. Although, she is slipping because this time she left a bruise;) I expect results from the test within two days. I'll let everyone know. If I have Gestational Diabetes and have to go on a low carb diet look out world because that diet makes me crazy!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Good Luck..for some reason I have had a few friends fail the first test but then did fine on the second test..so don't freak out if the first test comes back positive..I have weird veins too. I don't let anyone touch me until they get a butterfly needle out first.

Sarah said...

Isn't the GD test fun??? LOL I still had morning sickness when I did mine so that made it EXTRA fun!

And I'm with the previous commenter, they might as well get the butterfly out before they even think about drawing my blood. They've had to take it out of my hand before, too, and that hurts like crazy!

Lots of well wishes for a negative test!

Katie said...

I loved Tanya when she was with my OB. She was always a good stick and normally didn't cause much pain. She was often good for a laugh, as well. I'm glad your test results came back fine- I think the no carb diet would have sucked!