Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Childbirth Class III

Last night at class we learned about epidurals. Oh my, did that give me the heebie jeebies or what? I am not a big fan of shots and I despise IVs and this thing seems like a combo deal. The teacher told us that almost everyone who gets an epidural needs a catheter. I've never had one but it sounds awful too. She also told us that women who get epidurals are 6 times more likely to have a cesarean. I think I'm going to give natural a shot without ruling out anything so as not to be disappointed if it doesn't go just as I planned.

We toured the hospital too. Gees, I thought the room was the most depressing place on earth. You have to keep the blinds shut because the Marriott is right next door. The hospital seemed shabby to me.

We did do some more breathing and now I know for sure that Noel and I need to practice at home or we might kill each other when the heat is on.

Enough complaining already. I'll be more upbeat tomorrow I promise.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

is there any chance of going to a different hospital? The one you are going to doesn't sound "user friendly"!!

I think it's ridiculous about the ball, but maybe they have a rocking chair or something you can use (our hospital had one of those, too)

Natural is definately the way to go if you can! I'm the biggest wimp in the world and I've done it twice. I didn't even really think about it during the labor. Just take the contractions one at a time.

Once you get into the hospital and are in active labor not much will matter anyway...you won't even notice the curtains being drawn or if there is music playing (although it's nice before the fireworks really start).

Oh yeah, and you should let the hospital know that you'd like things a certain way. If they get enough demand from the patients (read: customers) they might change their policy in the future.

sorry this comment is so long!!

Paula said...

You have the right attitude..just keep an open mind. I had an epidural and did not have a c-section. My birth plan was no IV and labor in the tub..of course none of that happened. My labor stopped and had to be restarted with pitocin which means I had a IV. Then after about 8 hours decided to have the epidural. You don't feel the shot..trust me. I HATE needles (hence why it was in my chart that i did not have to have an IV) But long story longer Lydia is here and that is all that really matters!

Sarah said...

Sorry your experience wasn't a good one. I agree that the hospital is not the most festive place in the world, but the job gets done. LOL I guess that's what's important.

I had an epidural and a vaginal birth. I totally didn't feel the needle or the catheter. In fact, the catheter was a godsend because I didn't have to get up and go anywhere. LOL

If you want to bring your ball with you, do that. They will accomodate that. They also, if I recall correctly, have CD players in room if you want music. If not, bring one with you. I'm sure you won't be the first or the last.

Point being, don't sweat the minutae. Give them written documentation of your wishes, but also understand that they need to do what is best for you and Miss Ruby and keep an open mind.

I don't mean to sound lecturey, but I was all about having everything "my way" and I found out that I didn't always know best. LOL

Sarah said...

Yeah, yeah, I spelled minutiae wrong. Didn't realize it until after my comment was published.